A house for everybody – this is the Göteborg Opera
The Göteborg Opera is a wholly-owned limited liability company within the Västra Götaland region, with the objective of giving all of the region’s inhabitants access to opera, dance and musicals.
Here are 10 facts about how we achieve that objective:
1. The Göteborg Opera reaches a wide audience. In 2017 we broke our record for audience numbers, with a total of 300, 634 visitors, enough to fill Gothenburg’s Ullevi Stadium four times over.
2. During 2017 we put on a total of 372 performances, of which more than a fifth were staged in locations across the region rather than in the opera house in Gothenburg.
3. Through international tours which take place every year, we demonstrate to thousands of people all over the globe what the Västra Götaland region has to offer. During the season 2018/19, we will be making guest appearances in Italy, China, the UK, Spain, France, Norway and Japan.
4. We offer choral activities free of charge for around 100 children and young people each week. The opera “The Monster in the Maze”, which was performed on the Main Stage in the spring of 2018 and involved 180 amateur performers from the ages of 9 to 87, represents a milestone for Skapa, the Göteborg Opera’s creative project focusing on participation and creativity.
5. The Göteborg Opera has a self-sufficiency rate well above the average for comparable institutions. Our tickets start from as low as SEK 95, and we offer discounts for children and pensioners, as well as arranging numerous activities for which no entry fee is charged.
6. Our repertoire is substantial. We interweave popular titles with more seldom seen choices, newly produced pieces with well-known classics. Here, you have the chance to experience musicals, opera, contemporary dance and concerts in performances by international and Swedish creators.
7. The Göteborg Opera has the resources needed to create performing arts of the highest quality. It is the professional home to tens of soloists, 38 dancers, an orchestra of 86 musicians and a 46-singer strong opera chorus. Set design, costumes, wigs, props and much more are all created in-house in specialised workshops. All in all, a total of 90 professions are represented among our employees, who originate from over 30 different countries.
8. The vast majority of our visitors describe themselves as very satisfied with their experience and their visit when surveyed. Nine out of ten state that they plan to come back within a year.
9. The Göteborg Opera strives towards sustainability, equality and diversity. Our restaurant has been awarded the Nordic Swan Ecolabel and we also have beehives and solar cells on top of our roof. With our staging of “Der Ring des Nibelungen”, all of our various departments work to identify new solutions for sustainable performing arts – a holistic concept unique across the globe.
10. “World class from top to bottom” (Aftonbladet), “The closest we come to the West End in Scandinavia” (Norska Dagbladet) and “A faultless ensemble” (Tanz)*. The Göteborg Opera has received a huge array of awards and prizes, and our shows receive the highest praise from critics both within Sweden and beyond our borders.
* These quotes refer to the opera “Orpheus and Eurydice” 2014, the musical “Kristina från Duvemåla” 2014 and the dance evening “S & S” 2018.