- 12–16 jan 2020, Main Stage.
- Duration: 1 hour and 20 minutes, no interval.
- Choreography, composition
- Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui
- Set and costume design
- Hans Op de Beeck
- Musical direction, composition
- Felix Buxton
- Lighting design
- David Stokholm
- Choreographer's assistant
- Shawn Fitzgerald Ahern
- Voice coach
- Anna Sato
- Music written and performed by
- Vocals, guitar
- Kaspy N'Dia
- Vocals, percussion
- Mohammed El Arabi-Serghini
- Violin, viola, sound effects
- Samy Bishai
- Piano, guitar, percussion
- Gabriele Miracle
- Piano, koto, drums
- Tsubasa Hori
- GöteborgsOperans Danskompani
- Dancers from Eastman
- Shawn Fitzgerald Ahern
- Kazutomi “Tsuki” Kozuki
- Nicola Leahey
- Princess Madoki
- Patrick Williams Seebacher (TwoFace)
Stoic is a co-production with Eastman.
Dance creation by Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui.
Spoken dialogue in English, with some Swedish surtitles.
”So damn brilliant that it makes you weak at the knees”— Borås Tidning
”A complete experience that leaves a long-lasting impression”— Göteborgs-Posten
”Very beautiful.”— Sveriges Radio, P1
”The dancers are amazing.”— Dagens Nyheter
The monochrome grey library – an iconic work of art by the Belgian visual artist Hans Op de Beeck, – is a counterweight to the trivia of everyday life. It is indifferent and unyielding – stoic. Arabic vocals, Congolese music and Japanese percussion are woven together by composer Felix Buxton from the electronica duo, Basement Jaxx.
Don’t miss the chance to see this smash hit! Two performances only.
We’re in a time when openness is shrinking and borders are closing. If anything, my dream is that people will dare to connect with one another again. Sure it goes with burning your fingers – not every single being is a nice person – but that doesn’t mean it’s the wrong way to go. In fact it’s the right way to go. To never stop being curious about, believing or trusting in other people. Stoic is trying to break those boundaries again.— Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui
IntroductionsAll dance performances (except premieres and guest performances) are preceded by a verbal introduction. Welcome to listen and get a wider insight into the choreographer’s process and inspiration, collaborations with artistic teams and dancers, and more.
Introductions start 1 hour before the performance and last about 20 minutes. They are presented in Swedish and held on the Small Stage.
Free admission with performance ticket. Limited seating.
After talk with invited guests, January 12th
Directly after Stoic on January 12th we invite the audience to listen and take part in a conversation about the performance.
- Urban Ungerstedt, Professor in Neuropsychopharmacology at Karolinska Institutet
- Dorotea Saykaly, Dancer in Stoic, GöteborgsOperans Danskompani
- Shawn Fitzgerald Ahern, Dancer in Stoic (from Eastman) and choreographer’s assistant to Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui
- Katrín Hall, Artistic Director, GöteborgsOperans Danskompani
- Anna Karlander, Coordinator, GöteborgsOperans Danskompani
When: 7.30 – 8.30 pm
The Gothenburg Opera Café is open during the after talk.
Images from the performance
- Dissociative Identity Disorder, from Youtube, 2008
- Daniel Mackler, Why I quit being a therapist, 2018
- Symptoms of schizophrenia, Unknown author
- Dennis O’Grady, PsyD, 10 introductory questions therapists commonly ask, 2018
- Clint Smith, The Danger of Silence, 2014. Text from TED Talks.
- Luvvie Ajayi, Get comfortable with being uncomfortable, from TED Talks, 2017
- Reika Farman, 60 milligram down to 30 million feelings, 2018
Read the music list here (PDF)