Orchestral concert with music by female composers.
On International Women’s Day, the Göteborg Opera Orchestra will put on a varied and highly anticipated orchestral concert of music by female composers.
The pieces range from Sweden’s first female cathedral organist, a daughter of Gothenburg: the 19th century's Elfrida Andrée, via the British Ethel Smyth – one of the first women whose operas were produced in full, the German Alma Mahler (so much more than merely the spouse of Gustav Mahler), the French Germaine Tailleferre, who was the only female member of the famous French group of composers known as ‘Les Six’, up to contemporary figures such as Joan Tower, an enormously successful composer from the USA.
Soloist: Matilda Paulsson, mezzo-sopran
- Joan Tower – Fanfare for the Uncommon Woman No. 6
- Ethel Smyth – Concerto for violin, horn and orchestra
Soloists: Yuki Tashiro, violin & Alex Hambleton, horn
- Elfrida Andrée – Concerto Overture in D Major
- Alma Mahler – songs (orchestration by Jorma Panula)
- Germaine Tailleferre – Overture from 1932